Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Gabe

My nephew, Gabe, turned six on Tuesday. This is what I remember from the day he was born. I went to the hospital while my sister was laboring. A nurse came down the hall, stopped in front of me and asked if I was the patient waiting to be checked in. It took me a second to figure out why she was asking me this question, and then I remembered that I was 38 weeks pregnant and looked very much like a candidate for being checked into the maternity wing.
I remember Gabe rolling down the hallway after his birth and my mom pulling his little hat off to see what color hair he had. I remember seeing the baby and then abandoning my sister to go eat dinner. I'm not sure if she was pleased with some time alone or not.
I remember staying all night at the hospital on his second or third day of living and holding him most of the night so my sister could get some sleep. That boy still doesn't need as much sleep as the rest of us.
This is what I remember about his sixth birthday. Gabe happily received a lot of Legos. We ate some Legos, too. Gabe picked McDonald's for lunch because he was excited about the toy in the happy meal. Most importantly, my kids, for the first time, got the opportunity to be with their cousin as he celebrated.




No comments: